When I am craving something sweet, a warm freshly fried turon always hits the spot. Turon is often served as part of the dessert lineup you see at many Filipino parties. The magic is when the sugar in the turon caramelizes giving it a sweet, nutty, and buttery flavor combined with the pleasing crunch from the spring roll wrapper.
5 ripe bananas
1 cup | 220 g superfine sugar
20 spring roll wrappers
vegetable oil for deep frying
- Cut the bananas in half lengthwise, then widthwise.
- Place the spring roll wrapper on your work surface and place the banana piece 2 inches (5 cm) from the edge closes to you.
- Scatter 2 tsp of sugar over the top of the banana piece.
- Fold over the bottom edge, then fold in the sides and roll up tightly to enclose the banana filling.
- Run a wet fingertip over the edge of the spring roll wrapper to seal.
- Repeat with the remaining spring roll wrappers, bananas, and sugar.
- Fill a saucepan ⅓ full of vegetable oil and place over medium-high heat until the oil reaches 325° F (170° C).
- Working in batches, gently lower the turon into the hot oil and deep fry for 4 minutes until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Transfer to a clean plate (turon will stick to the paper towel if left too long).
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving warm or at room temperature.