Lumpiang Shanghai needs a sweet and savory dipping sauce and this version fits the bill. If you are in a bind and cannot make this yourself purchase Thai sweet chili sauce.
2 tbsp | 30 ml of apple cider vinegar
1 cup | 240 ml of water
1 tbsp | 85 g of granulated sugar
½ tsp | 2.4 g of salt
1 tbsp | 15 ml of tomato ketchup
1 tsp | 5 ml of oyster sauce
½ tsp | 2.4 g of jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (optional)
1 tbsp | 7.5 g of cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp | 30 ml of water to create a slurry
- Combine the apple cider vinegar, water, granulated sugar, salt, tomato ketchup, and oyster sauce in a small saucepan.
- Slowly bring the mixture to a boil and add the finely chopped jalapeño pepper to add some zing.
- Add the liverwurst or liver spread and stir to incorporate the other ingredients.
- Stir in the cornstarch slurry into the mixture and continue until the sauce thickens
- Allow the sauce to cool then serve with Lumpiang Shanghai.